Tag Archives: experiment

Under construction colour correction

I shot this footage of a construction site in Busan, South Korea in 2011. I then did some colour correction a fews years later by adding an Adjustment layer with a Curves (RGB channel and Red channel) and a Hue/Saturation (Reduce Master Saturation) Effect in After Effects. I also used the Stabilise Motion feature of Tracker to steady the hand held footage and try to anchor the orange window of the white building in the background to the viewers gaze.

How to fix the chassis of your inline skate

Originally created as three part just-in-time MMS for my friend, this instructional video demonstrates how you can quickly fix the chassis of your inline skate.

[wpvideo qCr0Teh6]

This technique is not a glamorous or permanent fix, but a practical and affordable temporary solution that will allow you to get back on your skates as soon as possible.

This video was quickly shot, edited and sent as a MMS on my Nokia N95 mobile phone. The highly compressed audio and video was determined by the constraints of the MMS standard.

The cool thing was that my friend watched my instructional video and was able to repair his inline skate. Nice.

Puck Cam

Llama’s VS Ninja’s pre-game warm-up recorded with Puck Cam. Featuring the skating of Rowan, Julian, John, Keely, Ben, Bruce, Annie and Rohan. Saturday Night Light (SNL) Inline Hockey League at Puckhandlers (Melbourne, Australia) 17 Oct 2009.

I recorded this video with a Nokia N95 gaffa taped to an inline hockey puck. Further research into documenting inline hockey games from different perspectives is currently underway. Thanks for watching.

Match moving in my backyard

Screen capture of the Maya Live shotCamera from my match move.

A lot of my experiments take place in my backyard. Here’s a test of a match move previsualisation of a before/after style effect for a component of sanitary plumbing e-learning resource we were developing at work.

I shot the footage on my Nokia N95, exported 187 frames to Photoshop, painted out the ping-pong balls used for tracking, tracked the shot in Maya Live and then used Maya to model the trench, pipework and watertank geometry.

It was fun to work up the previsualisation, but unfortunately we didn’t go ahead with the before/after concept for the sanitary plumbing resource.
[wpvideo txbMYcLk]

The Shaker box

This was the first Shaker Box that I built. I repurposed a slightly worn contact mic I had prepared earlier. My reuse of the old contact mic may explain a few things about the shaker box’s performance. These photos first appeared on my Greetings from…Flickr stream.

Concept drawing for the shaker box.
Starting off, I needed a box of some description to house the contact mic and rattly bits. I didn't have a small metal enclosure or tin handy so I used a plastic jiffy box that I had. Happy with the plastic substitute I drilled a hole in it with a 9mm drill bit to ensure a snug fit for the audio jack.
Next step was to prep the piezo that was already assembled as a contact mic. Gently warm the heat shrink tube with a lighter to ensure that the soldered connections are protected.
Now solder the wires connected to the piezo to the audio jack. One to the tip and the other to the sleeve.
I just temporarily duct taped the piezo onto the lid of the jiffy box. The tape won't protect the piezo that much once we start shaking...
Here is a detail shot.
Mounted the jack and tossed in some hair clips and bits of plastic, some people would want to use metal for a potential more "harsh noise" sound. Regardless of the material the piezo will still pick up the "rattle".
The lid is on, the jack has been mounted and it's all duct taped up!
Plug in your lead and hold tight to your little box and...
Shake your thing!

True (Heart) Bypass

This is my first attempt at building a simple True Bypass pedal. A True Bypass pedal can be used to bypass the audio signal of another pedal (eg an effect like distortion, delay, reverb etc) when it’s not in use. My pedal is based on the True Bypass layout designed by Beavis Audio Research. These photos first appeared on my Greetings from… Flickr stream in 2008.

I found this rather fetching Pocahontas confectionary tin at an op-shop. It would be more than suitable for this experiment.
The opened Pocohontas tin.
I drilled holes in the tin and then labelled the inside with a black xylene free marker.
I then wired and soldered the DPT switch.
Detail of the DPT switch wiring.
I then wired up and soldered the sleeves of the audio jacks.
I then soldered the wiring from the DPT switch to the audio jacks.
I then bolted the wired up DPT switch into the lid of the Pocahontas tin.
The completed pedal with Pocahontas artwork intact!
I used some wet'n'dry sandpaper to sand off the original Pocahontas paint job. The pedal is now finished.